2015 Tilth Producers Annual Conference Building Tilth: Fields, Farmers, and Community
November 13 – 15, 2015
Spokane Convention Center
The Tilth Producers 2015 annual conference returns to Eastern Washington, bringing three full days of quality education and networking opportunities.
- Keynote speaker John Reganold, Washington State University – Renowned organic agriculture educator and soil scientist.
- Capnote speaker Ray de Vries, Ralph’s Greenhouse – Tilth Producers 2014 Farmer of the year, and organic farmer since 1988.
- Twenty-five workshops that include topics such as specialty crop production, livestock management, soil fertility, marketing strategies and more!
- Three Friday sessions: “Farm-A-Palouse-A” sessions in collaboration with Spokane Conservation District, Organic Trade Association (OTA) grain growers stakeholder meeting, and area farm-to-restaurant tour.
- Sustainable and organic agriculture industry trade show
- Organic meals and social events, including a welcome reception, farmer and community mixer, music and dancing.
Support farmer education by sponsoring!
Mark your calendars: Saturday, September 12 – Saturday, September 19
2015 marks the sixth annual celebration of Washington Organic Week – WOW! This week long campaign is a unique way to highlight the important role of organics in our food system bridging consumers’ health, the land and our community.This year's highlights include:
- Saturday, September 12 - Harvest Fair in Meridian Park (Wallingford neighborhood of Seattle). Co-hosted by Seattle Tilth, the Harvest Fair is a fun, lively hands-on community festival with workshops, cooking demonstrations and activities for all ages. Mark your calendar to spend the day enjoying sustainable food and live music with friends and family.
- Thursday, September 17 - Join us for the Annual Beer & Chocolate Tasting at a brand new location – Elliot Bay Brewing in Lake City (NE Seattle). You can purchase tickets here or call us at (206) 632-7506.
- Eat Organic for WOW! pledge - We’ll be challenging all participants to spend the week focused on supporting local organic farmers and retailers while sharing tips on how to keep it affordable, healthy and delicious.
- Official Proclamation - Washington State Governor Jay Inslee has proclaimed September 12th-19th Washington Organic Week! You can View the proclamation here.
Support Washington organics by sponsoring WOW!
Upcoming Regional Workshop!
September 9 – From Seed to Market: Profitable Small-Scale Vegetable Farming, Skagit Flats Farm, Mount Vernon
Andy Ross owns and operates Skagit Flats Farm LLC, a 20 acre certified organic vegetable farm just west of Mount Vernon in the fertile Skagit Valley. He will share the ins-and-outs of operating a successful small-scale vegetable farm, from planting seed through selling to markets.Visit the Upcoming Workshops page to learn more and register.
Upcoming Farm Walks!
September 14 – Accessing Land as Beginning Vegetable Farmers – Quackenbush Farm, Ridgefield (Clark County)
Hear from these beginning vegetable farmers their journey to accessing land, building a farm business, and developing outlets for direct market sales.
September 28 - Organic Apple Orchard and Cidery: Two Businesses in One - Sinclair Orchards and Ciderhouse, Carlton (Okanogan County)
Join us in the Methow Valley to learn about certified organic production of fresh apples for market as well as the creation of farm crafted, organic hard cider.
October 5 - Solar Energy on the Farm - Broad Leaf Farm, Everson
Broad Leaf Farm is a long-established family farm located in Everson, Washington, that sells certified organic vegetables and berries. Learn how farmer, Dusty Williams, was able to turn a long-time interest in solar energy into reality, reducing utility bills as well as the farm’s environmental footprint.
October 26 - Solar Energy on the Farm - Tahoma Farms, Orting (Pierce County)
Learn how Tahoma Farms is using solar power not only to make their farm operations more environmentally sustainable but also to increase the farm’s financial stability.
Visit the Upcoming Farm Walks page to learn more and register!
Last fall, Tilth Producers caught up with Jim Meyer of Cascadian Home Farm in the Skagit Valley. Jim has been a proponent of organic production systems for decades. It was wonderful to talk with another long-time member of Tilth Producers during our 40th anniversary celebration year. Continue reading