2015 Tilth Producers Annual Conference
Building Tilth: Fields, Farmers, and Community
November 13 – 15, 2015
Spokane Convention Center
The Tilth Producers 2015 annual conference returns to Eastern Washington, bringing three full days of quality education and networking opportunities.
• Keynote speaker John Reganold, Washington State University – Renowned organic agriculture educator and soil scientist.
• Capnote speaker Ray de Vries, Ralph’s Greenhouse – Tilth Producers 2014 Farmer of the year, and organic farmer since 1988.
• Twenty-five workshops that include topics such as specialty crop production, livestock management, soil fertility, marketing strategies and more!
• Three Friday sessions: “Farm-A-Palouse-A” sessions in collaboration with Spokane Conservation District, Organic Trade Association (OTA) grain growers stakeholder meeting, and area farm-to-restaurant tour.
• Sustainable and organic agriculture industry trade show
• Organic meals and social events, including a welcome reception, farmer and community mixer, music and dancing.
Support farmer education by sponsoring!
Mark your calendars: Saturday, September 12 – Saturday, September 19
2015 marks the sixth annual celebration of Washington Organic Week – WOW! This week long campaign is a unique way to highlight the important role of organics in our food system bridging consumers’ health, the land and our community.This year's highlights include:
- Saturday, September 12 - Harvest Fair in Meridian Park (Wallingford neighborhood of Seattle). Co-hosted by Seattle Tilth, the Harvest Fair is a fun, lively hands-on community festival with workshops, cooking demonstrations and activities for all ages. Mark your calendar to spend the day enjoying sustainable food and live music with friends and family.
- Thursday, September 17 - Join us for the Annual Beer & Chocolate Tasting at a brand new location – Elliot Bay Brewing in Lake City (NE Seattle). More information and tickets sales to be announced soon!
- Eat Organic for WOW! pledge - We’ll be challenging all participants to spend the week focused on supporting local organic farmers and retailers while sharing tips on how to keep it affordable, healthy and delicious.
Support Washington organics by sponsoring WOW!
Upcoming Regional Workshop!
August 3 - One-Day University: Soil Fertility, Compost, and Organic Farming, WSU Eggert Family Organic Farm and the WSU Composting Facility, Pullman, WA
Presentations will address biologically improving soil and assessing soil in the field, crop rotations with quinoa, soil biotic activity measures, soil mycorrhizae, and compost teas. The day will include a tour of the Eggert Family Organic Farm and the WSU Compost Facility.Visit the Upcoming Workshops page to learn more and register.
Upcoming Farm Walks!
Visit the Upcoming Farm Walks page to learn more and register!
June 29 RESCHEDULED for Tues., August 4 - Organic Pest & Disease Management in Apples and Pears - Leach Orchards, Zillah
Learn from this experienced certified organic fruit grower on ways to manage pests and diseases of apples and pears – specifically codling moth and fire blight. The farm walk will also touch on drought and labor issues facing Yakima Valley fruit producers.
August 10 - Freshly Pressed: Washington's First Certified Organic Cranberry Farm - Starvation Alley Farms, Long Beach
Washington’s first certified organic cranberry farm will share their passion for growing cranberries and creating in-house, value-added products.
August 25 (Tuesday) - Nisqually Tribal Community Garden Program: Building Food Community - Nisqually Tribal Community Garden, Olympia
Join us to learn how these five acres of fruits, vegetables, and traditional plants work toward Tribal self-sufficiency and overall community, family, and individual health.Visit the Upcoming Farm Walks page to learn more and register!
Last fall, Tilth Producers caught up with Jim Meyer of Cascadian Home Farm in the Skagit Valley. Jim has been a proponent of organic production systems for decades. It was wonderful to talk with another long-time member of Tilth Producers during our 40th anniversary celebration year. Continue reading