Environmental Educator & Kids Crew ($12.00-13.50)--Carnation
Posted on: 02/23/2018 10:01 am
Environmental Educator and Kids’ Farm Crew, April-November
Oxbow Education (“OxEd”) provides year-round farm-based educational programming for kids, typically ages PreK-5th grade. We are seeking an Environmental Educator & Kids’ Farm Crew member to assist with farm-based education program delivery and farming tasks during our programming season. This position would be a great fit for an energetic person who wishes to learn more about organic farming and farm-based Environmental Education. While assigned to the OxEd team, this position will work closely, as needed, with all Oxbow staff and volunteers.
Environmental Education (50%, including Summer Camp)
- Participate in delivering environmental/farm education programs to all age groups, including Spring, Summer, and Fall Farm Adventures (field trips)
- Assist in preparing for Oxbow’s 5-weeks of summer camp and act as a Summer Camp Instructor
- Contribute to the success of Oxbow’s five week-long summer camps sessions, including coordinating farm projects, storytelling, and supporting & training other summer camp staff as needed
- Contribute to training of volunteers
Farming and Gardening (35%)
Assist with planting, sowing, weeding, mulching, harvesting, seed-saving and general maintenance and upkeep of OxEd infrastructure and two-acre Kids’ Farm and Living Playground.
Public Engagement (10%)
- Deliver environmental/farm education programs to all age groups at birthday parties, weekend Kids’ Farm tours, seasonal festivals and special events
- Support venue & public engagement activities with set-up, break down, and general customer service
Other duties (5%)
- Communicate about Oxbow’s programs and memberships to the public in an effort to support our mission
- Perform other tasks as assigned in support of all Oxbow program and business areas, including but not limited to the production farm, conservation and restoration activities, and general operations
- Experience farming or gardening and/or a strong desire to learn
- Proven knack for working with kids of all ages, primarily early learners
- Exceptionally positive attitude and leadership skills
- Two-year degree or comparable experience in the area of agriculture, sustainability, food systems, education, or environmental studies
- Comfortable speaking in front of large groups
- Ability to stay organized while juggling multiple time-sensitive projects
- Consistent attention to detail
- Ability to take direction, ask for help/clarity when necessary, and accept constructive feedback on work and technique
- Clear, consistent communication
- Ability to work independently and within a team
- Ability to perform work in inclement weather, standing, sitting, bending over or kneeling, to lift heavy & awkward objects, up to 50 lbs., and to perform physical work such as digging and planting
- Flexible, creative, and able to perform well in diverse conditions and under pressure
- A musical inclination; video or photo editing skills; theatrical experience or any other sort of artistic expertise is a plus! Please make note of any skills you have in your cover letter.
Additional desired qualities include: environmentally conscious, detail oriented, self-motivated, energetic, and professional.
The Oxbow Education (OxEd) is part of a larger nonprofit organization. A commitment to Oxbow’s overall mission and working as part of a team is critical.
COMPENSATION: This is a seasonal, full-time position, paying $11.50 to $13.50 DOE , with some paid time-off and access to food from the fields.
REPORTS TO: OxEd Program Manager
Please note, incomplete applications will not be considered. Email a resume, letter of interest, and 3 references to:
Interim Executive Director/Finance & Operations Manager
Oxbow Farm & Conservation Center
Please write Environmental Educator & Kids’ Farm Crew in the email subject line and include where you found this position in the message body.
Deadline to apply is Sunday, March 25, 2018