Field Crew Manager ($12-14, DOE)--Rochester, WA
Posted on: 03/01/2017 4:43 pm
Field Crew Manager
Full-time, seasonal, March/April through December
Helsing Junction Farm is a 50 acre organic farm located in Rochester, WA. We are nestled at the eastern edge of Independence Valley, an agriculturally rich farming community about 25 miles south of Olympia. We operate a 1,000+ member CSA, delivering from Portland to Seattle and many places in between. In addition we do a smaller amount of wholesale and direct to business sales. The farm was started in 1992 by Annie Salafsky and Sue Ujcic and was one of the country’s first CSA operations. You can visit our website, www.helsingjunctionfarms.com if you’d like to learn more.
As Field Crew Manager, you will be the primary person responsible for managing our Field Crew, overseeing daily harvests, and overseeing daily and weekly field work (hand weeding, trellising, irrigation support, packshed support, etc.). This position is one of the most important on the farm, and not only requires a great deal of knowledge and proficiency with organic vegetable production, but also requires the management and oversight of 8-12 workers on a daily basis.
The Field Crew is the backbone of the farm, and most crew members have worked on the farm for many years. As such they are very skilled, efficient, knowledgeable, and often self-sufficient in their work. You, with 2-3 Assistant Leaders, will be responsible for overseeing, coordinating, and managing their daily tasks. In May and June tasks primarily entail hand weeding, transplanting, trellising, and greenhouse assistance; in June, July, August, and September tasks primarily entail harvesting, packing CSA boxes, and packshed assistance; and in October and November tasks primarily entail harvesting, packing CSA boxes, packshed assistance, and general farm cleanup. As such, applicants must be proficient with prior experience in all of these fields.
Many of our Field Crew members are native Spanish speakers, and some speak little English. As such, applicants should be bilingual in English and Spanish, and be able to proficiently speak, read, and write in both languages.
Additionally, this position requires a great deal of employee management and oversight, and applicants should have prior experience managing crews. Depending on the time of year, there may be anywhere from 8-12 Field Crew members that you will be directly responsible for, with the assistance of 2-3 Assistant Leaders. We count on our Field Crew Member to help our Field Crew maintain a positive attitude, quick work pace, and appropriate attention to detail and quality.
In order to do well in this position you must have a strong aptitude for harvesting, weeding, and performing other farm tasks, managing others, communicating in a positive and timely manner with other managers, be detail oriented with an aptitude for record keeping, and be able to multitask in a fast paced environment.
Responsibilities can at times be physically demanding, so all candidates must be capable of lifting heavy and awkward items up to 50 lbs., capable of performing repetitive tasks with endurance, and able to work for long durations even in inclement weather.
Please note: Candidates must be able to lift 50 pounds and move heavy items. If you have a history of chronic back pain or other serious physical ailments or limitations, this position would not be a good fit for you.
- Managing, supervising, and working well with a crew of 8-12 co-workers to maintain consistent quality and time-efficient work
- Managing daily harvests, with an attention towards pace, quality, and crew morale
- Managing daily and weekly field work, with an attention towards pace, quality, and crew morale. Field work responsibilities include:
- Greenhouse seeding
- Irrigation assistance
- Produce washing and processing
- Co-managing the packing and loading of our CSA boxes 3 times per week
- Communicating in a timely and positive manner with supervisors, fellow managers, and co-workers.
- Communicating well with the Farm Manager, Harvest Leaders and Packshed Manager when issues arise to come up with a solution
- Keeping on-farm trucks clean and organized
- Maintaining harvest supplies inventory and communicating shortages and issues to the Farm Manager in a timely manner
- At least three years of experience working on farms, ideally vegetable farms
- At least three years of experience managing or supervising others
- Bilingual, with ability to speak, read, and write in English and Spanish
- Attention to detail
- Punctuality and strong time management skills
- Positive and energetic disposition with strong interpersonal skills
- Strong back with the ability to lift heavy and awkward objects
- Ability to work well in both a team setting and independently
- Fast learner and ability to adapt to new positions and working with new people
- Ability to take direction, accept constructive feedback and to ask for help when needed
- Ability to give direction and act as a leader among peers and colleagues
- Ability to work for long durations in inclement weather
- Ability to perform and endure repetitive physical work
40-60/wk (hours change with the season). Monday through Friday, unless arranged otherwise, but weekend work may be possible/necessary, occasionally throughout the season.
Commensurate with experience, and includes one small CSA share. This position receives the highest starting wage on the farm due to the high level of responsibility. Additionally, vegetables from the field are available for the picking, as well as partner share items at a discount price.
Farm Manager, Farm Owners
Please email a letter of interest, and 3 references to:
Dan Finkelstein and Valerie Cochran
Helsing Junction Farms
Please write “Field Crew Manager” in the email subject line and include where you found this job posting in the body of the message.
We will only accept applications via email. Mailed or walk-in applications will not be accepted.