Field Crew- Red Dog Farm --Chimacum, WA
Posted on: 10/08/2018 1:42 pm
Red Dog Farm is a 23-acre organic farm with 17 acres in vegetable and berry production. Located on the Olympic Peninsula just 10 miles from Port Townsend, we are nestled in the beautiful Center Valley of Chimacum, Washington. We produce crops year-round and sell to two local farmers markets, to local restaurants and wholesalers, through our CSA program, and at our own self-serve farm stand.
Red Dog Farm is a production farm with a strong focus on efficiency, crop diversity, and customer satisfaction. We spend the vast majority of our time harvesting, washing and packing. We utilize tractors for the majority of our weeding and field preparation. At our summer peak we have up to 15 crew members on the team. Check us out at reddogfarm.net and our job descriptions and applications at reddogfarm.net/staff.
We have several full time field crew positions for the 2019 season with a range of start and end times. Ideal field crew applicants are smart, tough, detail-oriented, possess a strong interest in food and farming, enjoy working on a team, and are ready for a new challenge.
Compensation: $12 per hour, as well as veggies from our fields. Housing is not included. Employees who return for multiple seasons will receive an annual performance-based raise as well as an opportunity to increase/refine responsibilities matching their commitment to the farm.
- Seasonal (Apr/May/Jun – Sept/Oct/Nov/Dec)
- Hours are 40- 45hrs/week, M-F with some Saturdays, which will be followed by a two-day weekend
- Ideal applicants seek employment for several years, with an interest in growing in experience and responsibilities with the farm
- The primary responsibility is to harvest, wash and pack produce
- Utilize and update paperwork to record tasks completed
- Perform field work including but not limited to transplanting, hand weeding, hoeing, and moving irrigation
- Assist at weekend farmers markets, up to two shifts per month
- Perform some or most of the following non-field work: greenhouse work, plant starts, delivering, tractor driving and farm stand stocking
Background and Skills
- One season previous farm experience preferred but not necessary
- Flexibility and desire to learn new methods and farm systems
- Good communication skills
- Energetic, fun and motivated personality
- Excellent work ethic and positive attitude
- Conscientious and able to work with all kinds of people
- Strong back and knees
- Ability to work outside in all weather conditions
- Willingness to fully commit to the farm for the season
Fill out Field Crew Application for Employment, available on our website: reddogfarm.net/staff. Submit along with your resume to: Red Dog Farm, PO Box 402, Chimacum, WA 98325 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be accepted until positions are filled.