Packing Shed Assistant
Posted on: 05/03/2018 8:56 am
Nash’s Organic Produce in beautiful Sequim, WA is seeking a Packing Shed Assistant.
Full to half time. June through December, possibly longer.
Essential hours are Mondays, Tuesday, and Fridays, beginning at 8 am. The Shed Assistant could also work other days.
This position could be combined with work at our farmer’s markets or as a Seattle delivery driver. It could also include packaging and restocking flour and dry goods for grocery stores and farmer’s markets.
The main task of the Shed Assistant is to support the other farm crews as they use the packing shed. This includes getting the shed ready for different crews with different needs, helping our marketeers prep for farmers markets, cleaning the shed and its equipment, and keeping the shed organized. It also includes helping assemble orders for restaurants, grocery stores, and wholesalers.
Successful Shed Assistants are flexible and adaptable in a busy work environment and are able to re-prioritize as new information arrives. They use electric and manual pallet jacks to move pallets of produce, often in tight spaces, so good coordination is beneficial. Independence is a plus — the Shed Assistant works alongside many people but often works on solo projects.
- Keeping the packing shed neat, clean, and organized
- Moving pallets of produce using an electric pallet jack
- Filling out invoices and labeling and organizing outgoing orders
- Helping stage produce and supplies for farmer’s markets
- Helping marketeers load farmer’s market trucks
- Helping unload farmer’s market trucks after market
- Helping sort unsold produce after markets for the Sales Manager to sell locally
- Helping package flour for large orders
- Cleaning the walk-in cooler
- Cleaning the insides of box trucks
- Understanding the flow of crews and products through the shed in order to help things flow smoothly
DOE. Employees enjoy monthly all-staff farm lunches, free farm vegetables, discounted pork and eggs, and a discount at our farm store. The packing shed is the farm’s centerpoint for vegetable washing, cold storage, farmer’s markets, and sales, so this person will see many aspects of the farm.
- Able to lift 50 pounds consistently
- Comfortable being on your feet all day
- Good hand-eye coordination and spatial reasoning skills
- Able to work independently
- Comfortable adapting efficiently in an ever-changing environment
The ideal candidate would also have:
- Spanish fluency
- Experience with pallet jacks or forklifts
- Driver’s license
- Cover Letter
- Nash’s Employment Application (found on the Nash’s website)
to Sales Manager Sid Maroney or Packing Shed Manager Rachel Covault, either in person at the packing shed or by email at email@example.com. Contact the packing shed at 360-681-7458 for more information.