Packshed Lead ($12-14, DOE)--Rochester, WA
Posted on: 03/01/2017 4:46 pm
Full-time, seasonal, April through November
Helsing Junction Farm is a 50 acre organic farm located in Rochester, WA. We are nestled at the eastern edge of Independence Valley, an agriculturally rich farming community about 25 miles south of Olympia. We operate a 1,000+ member CSA, delivering from Portland to Seattle and many places in between. In addition we do a smaller amount of wholesale and direct to business sales. The farm was started in 1992 by Annie Salafsky and Sue Ujcic and was one of the country’s first CSA operations. You can visit our website, www.helsingjunctionfarms.com if you’d like to learn more.
As Packshed Lead, your position is responsible for managing and overseeing the farm’s packshed, produce washing and processing, and coordinating and processing wholesale orders.
We pack and deliver 1,000+ boxes of varied produce each week to our CSA members along with restaurant orders and medium to large volume wholesale orders.
You and a rotating group of crew members will be responsible for quality control and accuracy in fulfilling orders. During the height of our season, most of your time will be spent in and around the packshed, but versatility is important as we will need you to be able to participate in other areas of the farm as needed. This may include harvesting, delivering, stocking our farm stand and some customer service. In order to do well in this position you must have a strong disposition towards organization and cleanliness, be detail oriented with an aptitude for record keeping, and be able to multitask in a fast paced environment while working quickly and efficiently.
Please note: Candidates must be able to lift 50 pounds and move heavy items. If you have a history of chronic back pain or other serious physical ailments or limitations, this position would not be a good fit for you.
- Washing and processing produce post-harvest, quickly, efficiently and consistently
- Tracking the time that your projects are taking and communicating with the Farm Manager and Field Crew Manager if timing needs cannot be met
- Labeling and maintaining product inventory at our packshed and our refrigerated cooler
- Managing, supervising, and working well with a crew of 1-6 co-workers to maintain consistent quality and time-efficient work.
- Communicating well with the Farm Manager and Harvest Leaders when issues arise to come up with a solution
- Keeping packshed and wash station cleaned and organized
- Occasional local produce delivery
- Occasionally joining the harvest crew, transplanting crew, or stocking our farmstand
- At least one year of experience that is applicable to this position (farming/warehouse/produce)
- Experience managing or supervising others
- Attention to detail
- Punctuality and strong time management skills
- Positive and energetic disposition with strong interpersonal skills
- Strong back with the ability to lift heavy and awkward objects
- Ability to work well in both a team setting and independently
- Fast learner and ability to adapt to new positions and working with new people
- Ability to take direction, accept constructive feedback and to ask for help when needed
- Ability to give direction and act as a leader among peers and colleagues
- Ability to work for long durations in inclement weather
- Ability to perform and endure repetitive physical work
- Ability to speak Spanish is desired but not a must
40-60/wk (hours change with the season). Typically Monday through Friday, but Saturday work may be possible/necessary with days of the week and hours tapering off as the season progresses
Commensurate with experience, and includes one small CSA share. Additionally, vegetables from the field are available for the picking, as well as partner share items at discount price.
Farm Manager, Office Manager
Please email a letter of interest, and 3 references to:
Dan Finkelstein and Valerie Cochran
Helsing Junction Farm
Please write “Packshed Lead” in the email subject line and include where you found this job posting in the body of the message.
We will only accept applications via email. Mailed or walk-in applications will not be accepted.