Seasonal Farm Crew --Carnation
Posted on: 03/02/2018 2:20 pm
As a member of our Farm Crew, you will have the opportunity to work within all aspects of our farming operation furthering Oxbow’s mission to connect people to sustainable food and build a community that will steward our natural resources conscientiously. To do this, you will cultivate both our production and educational fields with responsibilities including propagation house work, hand weeding and hoeing, transplanting, harvesting, post-harvest handling, deliveries, and farm stand supervision.
Our farm operation functions at a unique scale and setting requiring a great deal of manual physical labor as well as mechanization, while also working within close proximity to youth and educational programs. Professionalism, a close attention to detail, and the ability to operate efficiently in a rapidly changing environment are crucial to this position.
This is a seasonal, hourly position with a 5-6 day work week. Hours may be variable and long depending on the time of the year.
- Harvesting of produce efficiently and consistently for a variety of markets
- Transplanting crops quickly and efficiently
- Cultivation of crops by hand and with various tools
- Irrigation set up, maintenance, and operation
- Mechanical pest control
- Field construction, such as trellising and high tunnels
- Grass mowing and weed whacking
Post-Harvest Handling and Processing
- Post-harvest handling, including receiving and processing of produce quickly, efficiently, and consistently for a variety of accounts
- Rotating stock and maintaining product inventory
- Communicating with appropriate project lead when issues arise that impact order fulfillment
- Pack Shed safety upkeep and hygiene cleanliness
- Order deliveries
General Farm Production Team
- Tracking project time and communication with the Farm and Garden Manager, Farm and Garden Assistant Manager, or designated crew leader if forecast can’t be met
- Working and tracking within GAPS/FSMA food safety regulations
- Maintaining a smooth, timely flow with team members while working through projects
- Making sound judgment calls on product grading and time management
- Guiding occasional farm tours and assisting with the publics’ engagement within our farm’s fields
- Providing necessary supervision to members, volunteers, and gleaners in farm fields
- At least one year previous farming experience preferred
- Small engine operation and tractor experience a plus
- Physical dexterity and agility necessary in all aspects of the job for safety and efficiency
- Punctual with good time management skills
- Consistent attention to detail
- Positive, energetic interpersonal skills
- Strong back; able to lift heavy & awkward objects, up to 75 lbs
- Work well independently and in a team setting
- Fast, adaptable learner
- Ability to take direction, ask for help/clarity, and accept constructive feedback on work and technique
- Ability to give direction and act in lead role when necessary
- Clear, consistent communication
- Flexibility within a multicultural, dynamic organization
- Ability to work for long durations in inclement weather – standing, sitting, bending over, or kneeling
- Capability to perform repetitive physical work with endurance
- Ability to speak Spanish a plus
Additional desired qualities include: environmentally conscious, detail oriented, self-motivated, energetic, and professional.
The Oxbow Farm is part of a larger non-profit organization. A commitment to Oxbow’s overall mission and working as part of a team is critical.
This is a seasonal, full-time position, paying $12.00 – $13.50 per hour , with some paid time-off and access to food from the fields.
REPORTS TO: Farm & Garden Manager
Please note, incomplete applications will not be considered. Email a resume, letter of interest, and 3 references to:
Finance & Operations Manager
Oxbow Farm & Conservation Center
Please write Seasonal Farm Crew in the email subject line and include where you found this position in the message body.
We are hoping to fill this position ASAP for an April 2nd start date. Applications will be reviewed as they are received.
To see this job posting, and our other open jobs, on our website, click here.