Seasonal Kid’s Farm Crew --Carnation
Posted on: 05/14/2018 11:31 am
POSITION: Environmental Educator & Kids’ Farm Crew, June-November
Our mission is to inspire people to eat healthy, sustainably grown food and to steward our natural resources for future generations.
WHAT WE DO
The Center is located on 230 acres of forest and grassland bordered by Western Washington’s Snoqualmie River. We use this mixed landscape to:
Produce food. We cultivate 30 acres of mixed vegetable crops using agro-ecological principles and engage in research to inform conservation farming practice.
Grow native plants. We operate a native plant nursery that produces plants for habitat restoration projects, educational gardens, and urban landscapes, and conducts research on native plant propagation using sustainable growing methods.
Connect children to nature. We offer environmental education programs for children pre-K thru high school to build their comfort in the outdoors and provide them with opportunities to learn about the links between agriculture, conservation, and the environment.
Restore and sustain habitat. We carry out conservation projects and research to learn how humans can use land to our benefit while protecting biodiversity.
Oxbow Education (“Ox Ed”) provides year-round farm-based educational programming for kids, typically ages pre-K – 3rd grade. We are seeking an Environmental Educator & Kids’ Farm Crew person to assist with farm-based education program delivery and farming tasks for our programing season. This position would be a great fit for an energetic person who wishes to learn more about organic farming and farm-based Environmental Education. While assigned to the Ox Ed team this position will work closely, as needed, with all Oxbow staff and volunteers.
Environmental Education (50%, including Summer Camp)
- Participate in delivering environmental/farm education programs to all age groups, including spring and fall Farm Adventures (field trips)
- Assist in preparing for Oxbow’s 5-weeks of summer camp and act as Summer Camp Instructor
- Contribute to the success of Oxbow’s five week-long summer camps sessions, including coordinating farm projects, storytelling, and supporting & training summer camp staff as needed
- Contribute to trainings of volunteers
Farming and Gardening (35%)
Assist with planting, sowing, weeding, mulching, harvesting, seed-saving and general maintenance and upkeep of Ox Ed infrastructure and two-acre Kids’ Farm and Living Playground.
Public Engagement (10%)
- Deliver environmental/farm education programs to all age groups at birthday parties, weekend Kids’ Farm tours, seasonal festivals and special events
- Support venue & public engagement activities with set-up, break down and general customer service
Other duties (5%)
- Communicate about Oxbow’s programs and memberships to the public in an effort to support our mission.
- Perform other tasks as assigned in support of all Oxbow program and business areas, including but not limited to the production farm, conservation and restoration activities, and general operations.
- Experience farming or gardening and/or a strong desire to learn
- Proven knack for working with kids of all ages, primarily youngsters
- Exceptionally positive attitude
- Two-year degree or comparable experience in the area of agriculture, sustainability, food systems, education, or environmental studies
- Comfortable speaking in front of large groups
- Ability to stay organized while juggling multiple time-sensitive projects
- Consistent attention to detail
- Ability to take direction, ask for help/clarity when necessary, and accept constructive feedback on work and technique
- Clear, consistent communication
- Ability to work independently and within a team
- Positive leadership skills
- Ability to perform work in inclement weather, standing, sitting, bending over or kneeling, to lift heavy & awkward objects, up to 50 lbs., and to perform physical work such as digging and planting
- Flexible, creative, and able to perform well in diverse conditions and under pressure
- A musical inclination; video or photo editing skills; theatrical experience or any other sort of artistic expertise is a plus! Please make note of any skills you have in your cover letter.
Additional desired qualities include: environmentally conscious, detail oriented, self-motivated, energetic, and professional.
Candidates must be available for ALL of the following Summer Camp weeks:
- Camp staff training: June 18-22
- Session 1: June 25-29
- Session 2: July 9-13
- Session 3: July 23-27
- Session 4: July 30-Aug 3
- Session 5: Aug.13-17
The Oxbow Education (OxEd) is part of a larger non-profit organization. A commitment to Oxbow’s overall mission and working as part of a team is critical.
This is a seasonal, full-time position, paying $11.50 to $13.50 DOE , with some paid time-off and access to food from the fields.
REPORTS TO: OxEd Program Manager
Please note, incomplete applications will not be considered. Email a resume, letter of interest, and 3 references to:
Finance & Operations Manager
Oxbow Farm & Conservation Center
Please write Environmental Educator & Kids’ Farm Crew in the email subject line and include where you found this position in the message body.
We are looking to fill this position ASAP to start no later than June 18th. Applicants will be processed as they are received.
To see this job posting, and our other open jobs, on our website, click here.