Summer Camp Educator --Carnation
Posted on: 05/01/2018 1:52 pm
Oxbow Education (“OxEd”) is seeking Kids’ Farm Summer Camp Instructors to lead summer camp groups for 5 week-long day camp sessions and assist with occasional delivery of birthday parties, summer field trips, and other programming as needed between camp weeks. Summer Camp Instructors will lead groups of 9-12 campers, ages 4-12, during day camp sessions. As a Camp Instructor, you will facilitate a successful camp experience for campers by keeping them engaged with a variety of educational games and activities, while being responsible for their safety and a majority of their daily schedule.
Summer Camp Instructors will develop and lead nature- and farm- based activities, and will have the opportunity to learn more about organic farming and environmental education. This position would be a great fit for an energetic person who enjoys and appreciates the outdoors and who has experience leading summer camp groups and facilitating outdoor games and activities.
Camp instructors must be available to work ALL training and camp weeks, see details below. You will also be scheduled to work other days between camp weeks supporting, Summer field trips, Kids’ Farm projects and birthday parties, as needed.
- Lead your group of campers, ages 4-6 or 7-12, in farm- and nature-based camp activities
- Ensure safety of campers at all times
- Contribute to planning and prep in advance of summer camp sessions
- Plan and lead most day-to-day activities of your summer camp group
- Facilitate games, songs, stories, and activities
- Participate in all-camp activities including simple farm tasks
- Behavioral management of campers
- Work with and give direction to volunteer(s) assigned to your group
- Assist in set-up and clean-up of daily camp activities
- Participate in daily debriefing meetings to address concerns and develop as an education team
- Previous summer camp instructor experience preferred
- Experience facilitating educational outdoor games and activities
- Ability to do light physical work, including standing for several hours, squatting/kneeling
- Experience working with children, especially ages 4-12
- Ability to take direction, ask for help/clarity when necessary, and accept constructive feedback on work and technique
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- High-energy and playful; exceptionally positive attitude
- Self-driven and motivated
- Demonstrated leadership skills
- Flexible, creative, and able to perform well in diverse conditions and under pressure
- A musical inclination, video or photo editing skills, theatrical experience, or any other sort of artistic expertise is a plus! Please make note of any skills you have in your cover letter
Additional desired qualities include: environmentally conscious, detail oriented, self-motivated, energetic, and professional.
Candidates must be available for ALL of the following weeks:
- Staff training: June 18-22
- Session 1: June 25-29
- Session 2: July 9-13
- Session 3: July 23-27
- Session 4: July 30-Aug 3
- Session 5: Aug.13-17
The Oxbow Education is part of a larger non-profit organization. A commitment to Oxbow’s overall mission and working as part of a team is critical.
This is a seasonal, full-time/part-time position, paying $12.50 – $13.50 , with some paid time-off and access to food from the fields.
REPORTS TO: OxEd Program Manager
Please note, incomplete applications will not be considered. Email a resume, letter of interest, and 3 references to:
Finance & Operations Manager/Interim Executive Director
Oxbow Farm & Conservation Center
Please write “Summer Camp Instructor” in the email subject line and include where you found this position in the message body.
We are looking for two camp instructors and the position will be open until filled. Applications will be processed as they are received.