2017 Field Crew
Posted on: 12/10/2015 8:27 amDates: May 1, 2017 through December 1, 2017 (dates are flexible)
Red Dog Farm is a 23-acre organic farm with 17 acres in vegetable and berry production. Located on the Olympic Peninsula, we are nestled in the beautiful Center Valley of Chimacum, Washington. We produce crops year-round and sell to two local farmers markets, to local restaurants and wholesalers, through our CSA program, and at our own self-serve farm stand.
Red Dog Farm has been operating for ten years and is owned by Karyn Williams. Co- farm managers Alice Lee and Jeff Hogue have worked at Red Dog Farm since 2014. Our farm crew consists of nine full time, full-season employees, as well as additional peak season employees and volunteers.
Red Dog Farm is a production farm with a strong focus on efficiency, crop diversity, and customer satisfaction. We spend the vast majority of our time harvesting, washing and packing. We utilize tractors for the majority of our weeding and field preparation.
There are openings for 3 full time field crew positions for the 2017 season. Ideal field crew applicants are smart, strong, detail-oriented, possess a strong interest in food and farming, enjoy working on a team, and are ready for a new challenge. Applications are accepted and reviewed on an on-going basis until the positions are filled.
Compensation: Hourly wage DOE, as well as veggies from our fields.
- May 1st through December 1st.
- Hours are 40- 45 per week.
- Ideal applicants would seek employment for several years, with an interest in growing in experience and responsibilities with the farm.
Essential Job Functions
- The primary responsibility is to harvest, wash and pack produce.
- Utilize and update paperwork to record tasks completed.
- Perform field work including but not limited to transplanting, hand weeding, hoeing, and moving irrigation.
- Perform some or most of the following non-field work: greenhouse work, plant starts, farmers markets, delivering, and farm stand stocking.
- One season previous farm experience preferred but not necessary
- Flexibility and desire to learn new methods and farm systems
- Good communication skills
- Energetic, fun and motivated personality
- Excellent work ethic and positive attitude
- Conscientious and able to work with all kinds of people
- Strong back and knees
- Ability to work outside in all weather conditions
- Willingness to fully commit to the farm for the season
Applications will be accepted beginning November 1st, until positions are filled.
To apply, fill out Application for Employment on our website (www.reddogfarm.net/staff) and submit by email or mail.
MAIL: Red Dog Farm
P.O. Box 402
Chimacum, WA 98325
Number of interns needed: 3
Kids Okay: No.
Pets Okay: No.
Car Required: No.
Work Hours: Full Time.
Learning Opportunities: Self Determined.