2017 Farmers Market Lead
Posted on: 11/08/2016 2:34 pmDates: March 27, 2017 through December 19, 2017 (dates are flexible)
Red Dog Farm is a 23-acre organic farm with 17 acres in vegetable and berry production. Located on the Olympic Peninsula, we are nestled in the beautiful Center Valley of Chimacum, Washington. We produce crops year-round and sell to two local farmers markets, to local restaurants and wholesalers, through our CSA program, and at our own self-serve farm stand. Red Dog Farm has been operating for ten years. Our farm crew consists of nine full time, full-season employees, as well as additional peak season employees and volunteers.
Red Dog Farm is a production farm with a strong focus on efficiency, crop diversity, and customer satisfaction. We spend the vast majority of our time harvesting, washing and packing. We utilize tractors for the majority of our weeding and field preparation.
We seek one talented individual to run our twice weekly farmers market booths- at Port Townsend Saturday and Chimacum Sunday markets. The ideal applicant would have excellent customer service skills, be adept at multi-tasking, be able to train and lead co-workers in all market tasks, possess organic farm production and produce handling skills, and have excellent verbal and written communication skills. Must be able to work weekends April- December.
Additionally, the Farmers Market Lead would work with the crew in the fields 2- 3 days per week. To work successfully in the field crew role, one must be smart, strong, detail-oriented, possess a strong interest in food and farming, enjoy working on a team, and be ready for a new challenge.
Compensation: Hourly wage, depending on experience, as well as veggies from our fields.
- March 27th through December 19th
- Hours are 40- 45 per week.
- Ideal applicants would seek employment for several years, with an interest in growing in experience and responsibilities with the farm.
Essential Job Functions
- The primary responsibility is to run farmers markets- managing product, staff and sales
- Additionally, this role would communicate regularly with other managers and farm owner, as well as bring the market perspective to the field crew
- On field crew, the primary responsibility is to harvest, wash and pack produce.
- Additional field work includes but is not limited to transplanting, hand weeding, hoeing, and moving irrigation.
- Additional non-field work: greenhouse work, plant starts, farmers markets, delivering, and farm stand stocking.
- One year experience on an organic vegetable or berry farm
- Excellent customer service skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Experience and desire to lead the work of others
- Experience with retail produce display
- Flexibility and desire to learn new methods and farm systems
- Energetic, fun and motivated personality
- Excellent work ethic and positive attitude
- Conscientious and able to work with all kinds of people
- Strong back and knees
- Ability to work outside in all weather conditions
- Willingness to fully commit to the farm for the season
Applications will be accepted beginning November 1st, until position is filled.
To apply, fill out Application for Employment on our website (www.reddogfarm.net) and submit by email or mail.
MAIL: Red Dog Farm
P.O. Box 402
Chimacum, WA 98325
Number of interns needed: 1
Kids Okay: No.
Pets Okay: No.
Car Required: No.
Work Hours: Full Time.
Learning Opportunities: Self Determined.