Assistant Production Manager- Red Dog Farm
Posted on: 10/11/2018 10:28 amDates: January 1, 2019 through December 31, 2020
Red Dog Farm is a 23-acre organic farm with 17 acres in vegetable, flower and berry production. Located on the Olympic Peninsula just 10 miles from Port Townsend, we are nestled in the beautiful Center Valley of Chimacum, Washington. We produce crops year-round and sell to two local farmers markets, to local restaurants and wholesalers, through our CSA program, and at our own self-serve farm stand.
Red Dog Farm is a production farm with a strong focus on efficiency, crop diversity, and customer satisfaction. We spend the vast majority of our time harvesting, washing and packing. We utilize tractors for the majority of our weeding and field preparation. At our summer peak we have up to 15 crew members on the team. Check us out at reddogfarm.net and our job descriptions and applications at reddogfarm.net/staff.
Ideal applicants for the Assistant Production Manager position are motivated, skilled at problem-solving and trouble-shooting and have a background in equipment repair and maintenance.
Compensation: $15+/hour based on experience. Housing is not included. Employees who return for multiple seasons will receive an annual performance-based raise.
- Permanent: Beginning Jan. 2019, 2+ years desired
- Hours: 40- 50hrs/ week (peak season is April-July), M-F with some weekends during peak season.
- Perform field tractor work using a variety of equipment and implements.
- Perform routine vehicle, equipment and facilities maintenance.
- Act as a handy-person around the farm; repairing, improving and building things as needed.
- Perform a variety of in-field tractor work.
- Utilize innovation and creativity to improve farm equipment and systems.
- Communicate with farm owner to discuss tractor work, equipment and repair issues, etc., as well as communicate by cell phone throughout the work day.
- Communicate with farm manager and other tractor drivers, coordinating jobs and equipment use.
Background and Skills
- Practical experience and knowledge of vegetable growing systems, ability to understand field production processes for organic crops, ability to understand detailed farm plans
- Mechanical experience- ability to problem-solve and think creatively, using resources on-hand and common sense
- Knowledge and skill in carpentry, plumbing, electrical, general handy-person repair, welding and fabrication
- Strong communication skills
- Flexibility to adapt to changing schedules and situations
- Ability to work independently primarily, while also being part of a team
- Must be extremely responsible, self-motivated and capable of handling complex instructions
- Must have a clean driver’s license and be capable of handling physically demanding work
To Apply: fill out the application for Assistant Production Manager. All job descriptions and applications are available on our website: reddogfarm.net/staff. Submit along with your resume to: Red Dog Farm, PO Box 402, Chimacum, WA 98325 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be accepted until positions are filled.
Number of interns needed: 1
Kids Okay: No.
Pets Okay: No.
Car Required: No.
Experience Required: Preferred.
Specific skills or knowledge required: Please see job description
Work Hours: Full Time.
Learning Opportunities: On The Job.