Posted on: 10/18/2021 3:08 pm
Full Time: 40+ hours/ week (peak season= April- July)
Permanent Position: Beginning Jan 2022, 2+ years desired
Schedule: Work days are generally Monday through Friday, with some weekends April-June. A one-week vacation after July is encouraged, also winter vacation time of up to two months is negotiable.
Compensation: Hourly wage DOE, plus produce
Red Dog Farm is a 23-acre production organic produce farm located in Chimacum, WA. We grow over 100 different varieties of vegetables and berries for retail-direct sales. Our produce is sold through our 200 member CSA, two local farmers markets, 30 local restaurants and stores and our on-farm Farm Stand. We employ about 20 people seasonally, with 6 or so year-round. The work environment is fun and fast-paced. We are serious about growing tons of food for our community.
We are looking for a skilled, motivated, problem solving-oriented farmer to operate equipment, coordinate field work and manage tractor drivers. The ideal applicant has significant experience on production vegetable farms, particularly using a variety of row crop specialty implements and systems. This position will be responsible for coordinating tractor tasks on the farm, overseeing other tractor drivers and troubleshooting problems. This involves extensive coordination of several task lists, and changing implements, tractors or tasks many times during the day, while working within typical limitations such as complex irrigation scheduling, remay, tractor and staff. Passion and familiarity with production vegetable farming is essential.
- Perform field tractor work using a variety of equipment and implements including but not limited to fertilizing, plowing, chiseling, discing, mowing, tilling, flaming, cultivating, seeding, spraying, laying plastic and drip, pulling plastic and drip, digging potatoes, root lifting, transplanting, walk-behind tiller
- Perform non-field tractor work such as bucket work, box blade, towing, load moving, unloading
- Coordinate production tasks to ensure that priorities are accomplished daily
- Train and oversee other tractor drivers
- Utilize innovation and creativity to troubleshoot problems
- Communicate with farm owner, farm manager and other tractor drivers via cell phone and two-way radio
Background and Skills
- Practical experience and knowledge of vegetable growing systems
- Ability to understand field production processes for organic crops and detailed farm plans
- Mechanical experience- ability to problem-solve and think creatively, using resources on-hand and common sense
- Strong communication skills
- People management skills
- Flexibility to adapt to changing schedules and situations
- Ability to work independently primarily, while also being part of a team
- Must be extremely responsible, self-motivated and capable of handling complex information
- Must have a clean driver’s license and be capable of handling physically demanding work
To Apply: Complete the Production Manager Application for Employment on our website at reddogfarm.net/staff. Submit along with your resume to: Red Dog Farm, PO Box 402, Chimacum, WA 98325 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Kids Okay: No.
Pets Okay: No.
Car Required: No.