Seattle Tilth Farm Works Farm Steward Internship
Tilth Producers | https://tilthproducers.org |
Posted on: 07/08/2015 12:52 pmDates: February 15, 2016 through November 15, 2016 (dates are flexible)
Seattle Tilth Farm Works
Farm Steward Internship
Brief Description of Seattle Tilth Farm Works
Seattle Tilth provides farm business training and support to aspiring famers in the Puget Sound region. This “farm incubator” program is called Seattle Tilth Farm Works and is located in Auburn, WA. Seattle Tilth Farm Works participants attend farm and business trainings, tour neighboring farm operations, and gain hands-on experience growing and harvesting food using organic practices.
Seattle Tilth Farm Works Internship Description:
STFW interns are involved in all aspects of the farm and work closely with program staff. As much as possible, Seattle Tilth seeks to create a participatory environment driven by learning-by-doing models. Interns learn about and participate in greenhouse management, field cultivation, irrigation systems, pest control, harvesting, post- harvest handling, distribution, and animal care.
Responsibilities and tasks:
- Field work: includes seeding, transplanting, weeding, thinning, trellising and harvesting.
- Greenhouse: seeding, weeding, transplanting, and watering.
- Wash Station: washing, sorting, packing, labeling all crops.
- Tractor work: bed preparation, and mowing.
- Distribution: delivering restaurant orders, distributing CSA, sales at farmers’ markets and setting up farm stand.
- Animal care: feeding, watering, collecting eggs.
Working on the farm requires the physical capability to contribute daily in a rigorous, fast-paced agricultural setting. Farm work offers an incredibly rewarding and demanding work environment and life experience. Interns should expect to work outside in all weather conditions including rain, winter cold and summer heat.
While much of the internship will be focused on hands-on learning, interns will be encouraged to participate in the Educational Program, facilitate farm walks which more closely examine a farm system aspect of interest, and pursue an independent project of interest. STFW staff will provide support and direction for educational aspirations.
- Seattle Tilth seeks applicants who are enthusiastic about agriculture and have a vision for themselves within the Seattle Tilth Farm Works community.
- Reliable, responsible, self-motivated, flexible and hard working.
- Ability to work independently, be self-directed and also work well as a member of a team.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Ability to work with an interpreter.
- Physical ability to work daily with hands, wrists and back, and to lift 50 pounds regularly.
- Basic computer skills.
Interns will devote approximately 32 hours per week to the farm for a full season from February to November.
Compensation and Benefits:
- Interns will receive a stipend of $200/month to offset living costs.
- Interns will have access to free, shared, on-site housing that is furnished and includes kitchen and laundry facilities and free wifi.
- Interns are encouraged to participate in our twice-weekly classes and field trips.
- Interns eat well from harvest surpluses.
- Interns can gain up to 6 Continuing Education Units (CEUs) through Washington State University.
- Interns may receive school credit if their institution allows.
STFW interns gain valuable farming skills and are given an opportunity to experience the inner-workings of a non-profit with over 30 years of success. Interns will actively contribute to organic farming, local food systems, the environment, and social justice, while working with a team to accomplish common goals.
Farm & Work Site:
Seattle Tilth Farm Works
17601 Southeast Lake Moneysmith Road
Auburn, WA 98092.
Please email a cover letter and resume to Alex Kazer at . Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis.
Important Dates and Deadlines:
Please submit your application as soon as possible for consideration..
Email for more information.
About Seattle Tilth Farm Works
Seattle Tilth Farm Works (STFW) provides educational and business opportunities for aspiring famers in the Puget Sound region. Seattle Tilth’s mission is to inspire and educate people to grow food organically, conserve natural resources and support local food systems in order to cultivate a healthy environment and community. STFW helps achieve this mission by providing opportunities for aspiring farmers to gain hands-on experience growing and harvesting food using organic practices and to sell their crops through local networks.
In addition to the STFW Education Program, a program that provides classroom instruction, hands-on field based training and mentoring to aspiring, limited-resource farmers, STFW also operates a small-scale production farm. The purpose of the production farm is threefold: to demonstrate organic production methods to Education Program participants, to create and maintain market channels that benefit STFW participants, and to provide a sustainable source of income for the program itself.
The STFW farm is located 4 miles east of the Green River, in Auburn, Washington. We grow approximately 40 different varieties of vegetables on 4.5 acres, with plans to incorporate more perennial crops, laying hens and a few honey beehives within the coming year. All of the crops we grow will be distributed locally through farmers’ markets, a new STFW CSA, Central Coop, and other Seattle restaurants.
About Seattle Tilth
Seattle Tilth is a nationally recognized non-profit educational organization dedicated to inspiring and educating people to garden organically and conserve natural resources, and support local food systems in order to cultivate a healthy urban environment and community. Our programs include community learning gardens, our volunteer program, classes and workshops, events, a children’s garden program, the Master Composter program, the Garden Hotline, Seattle Youth Garden Works, and the Farm Incubator Program.
Number of interns needed: 1
Kids Okay: No.
Pets Okay: Yes.
Car Required: No.
Work Hours: Part Time.
Learning Opportunities: On The Job.