The Board of Tilth Producers honors individuals who have gone the extra mile to promote the mission of the organization. Two awards will be given at the annual conference, one to an outstanding farmer for their efforts in land stewardship (Farmer of the Year) and one to an individual for their contributions to the sustainability of organic farming (Advocate of the Year).
Farmers of the Year 2012
Tilth Producers of Washington honors Juana Lopez Paramo and Clayton Burrows of Growing Washington for their work in building an exemplary farm in the foothills of Mount Baker that has become a valuable asset to organic agriculture in Washington State. Growing Washington is a conscientious steward of both farmers and farmland in Whatcom County and works steadily to promote local, sustainable and organic food throughout the region. Thank you Juana, Clayton and all of the farmers of Growing Washington!
Advocate of the Year 2012
Tilth Producers of Washington honors Karen Kinney of Washington State Farmers Market Association who has played a critical role in developing and supporting Washington’s sustainable agriculture community. For her tireless work and steadfast commitment on behalf of Washington farmers, farmers markets and low income food shoppers. Karen has made Washington State a better place by increasing access for low income consumers to local food from local farmers.
Thank you, Karen!
- Year | Farmer of the Year | Advocate of the Year
- 2004 | Nash Huber | Miles McEvoy
- 2005 | Michaele Blakely | Jerry Pipitone
- 2006 | Jim & Harlyn Meyer | Diane Dempster
- 2007 | Rick & Marilynn Lynn | Goldie Caughlan
- 2008 | None | Gus Hoover
- 2009 | Hilario Alvarez | Mary Embleton
- 2010 | Watershine Woods | Fred Berman & Patrice Barrentine
- 2011 | Eric & Sheryl Zakarison | Colleen Donovan