Job Posting: Journal Editor
September 6, 2013
Tilth Producers of Washington promotes ecologically sound, economically viable and socially equitable farming practices that improve the health of our communities and natural environment.
In fulfilling its educational mission, Tilth Producers publishes a quarterly journal of organic and sustainable agriculture; presents an annual conference and workshops; offers a series of farm walks; hosts the Washington Organic Week campaign; sponsors an intern placement service; and maintains an active watch on local, regional, and federal legislation affecting Washington growers.
The Tilth Producers of Washington Journal Editor is responsible for assisting the Journal Committee and staff with providing the organizations members with a high-quality quarterly publication. This is a part-time, contractual position with a flexible work schedule which is dependent upon publication deadlines.
- Formats a quarterly publication of at least 20 pages (including advertising).
- Solicits, researches and writes articles of interest to organic farmers.
- Coordinates writing of articles by regular and occasional contributing writers.
- Establishes and maintains due dates and deadlines for article submissions, advertising, and publication printing and distribution.
- Refines and edits articles written by paid and volunteer contributing writers.
- Includes adequate variety to appeal to a diverse group in background and experience.
- Performs all layout and graphics functions.
- Coordinates with ad sales staff to ensure ad copy is correct and received in a timely manner.
- Causes the publication to be printed and mailed to members on a timely basis.
- Serves as a liaison between staff and printer to publish and to supply an updated mailing list of members each quarter; mails extra copies to the Tilth Producers office for distribution.
- Maintains both a computer and hard copy archive of past issues.
- Coordinates with the Tilth Producers staff to supply appropriate journal information for the website.
- Participate in Tilth Producers activities, when possible, so as to better understand and serve its members.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator).
- Excellent writing, editing, and language skills.
- Excellent computer graphic design skills.
- Good ‘people skills’.
- Excellent attention to detail and follow through.
- Self-directed and able to work on a contract basis.
- Reliability, accuracy and ability to meet deadlines.
- Reliable broadband email and internet accessibility.
- Knowledge and interest in organic and sustainable agriculture and family farm issues.
- Journalistic experience preferred.
- Ability to work independently, conduct research on relevant topics or potential contributors and follow-up.
- Website knowledge in design, input, and management.
- The Journal Editor is a part-time contractual position with compensation of $1,200.00 per journal issue.
- The Journal Editor is responsible for providing Tilth Producers with accurate invoices upon completion of each issue. Reimbursable expenses must be pre-approved before being invoiced.
- Position is not eligible for benefits.
Please submit cover letter and resume to email@example.com with “Journal Editor” in subject line. Please no calls or visits. Only most qualified candidates will be contacted for an interview.
Application deadline is September 25, 2013.
Thank you for your interest in Tilth Producers of Washington.