Irrigation Lead ($12-14, DOE)--Rochester, WA
Posted on: 03/01/2017 4:47 pm
Full-time, seasonal, April through November
Helsing Junction Farm is a 50 acre organic farm located in Rochester, WA. We are nestled at the eastern edge of Independence Valley, an agriculturally rich farming community about 25 miles south of Olympia. We operate a 1,000+ member CSA, delivering from Portland to Seattle and many places in between. In addition we do a smaller amount of wholesale and direct to business sales. The farm was started in 1992 by Annie Salafsky and Sue Ujcic and was one of the country’s first CSA operations. You can visit our website, www.helsingjunctionfarms.com if you’d like to learn more.
As Irrigation Leaf, you will be responsible for setting up, moving, and maintaining the farm’s irrigation systems. This includes moving and maintaining our handline aluminum irrigation pipe, setting up and maintaining our drip irrigation systems, operating and maintaining our two main irrigation pumps, and monitoring and keeping track of our irrigation rotation.
This position works closely with and Irrigation Assistant, the Farm Manager, Equipment Operators, and the Field Crew Manager, and as such must be a clear and timely communicator. This position will work very closely and be responsible for an Irrigation Assistant, and as such must be able to manage effectively.
This position will require frequent light tractor work, and applicants must be adept with light machinery and pump operation.
Ideal candidates are hard-working, pay close attention to detail, and familiar with organic vegetable production and the myriad of conditions that affect an irrigation schedule.
Please note: Candidates must be able to lift 50 pounds and move heavy items. If you have a history of chronic back pain or other serious physical ailments or limitations, this position would not be a good fit for you.
- Moving, setting up, and maintaining our overhead irrigation system
- Drip tape installation and maintenance
- General irrigation maintenance and minor repairs
- Managing and overseeing 1 other employee
- Soil moisture assessment and irrigation tracking
- Tracking and record keeping for irrigation date and duration
- Communicating and delegating irrigation responsibilities as needed
- Light tractor work
- General farm labor as needed
- At least one year of experience that is applicable to this position (farming/irrigation/produce)
- Familiarity with organic vegetable production and the myriad of conditions that affect an irrigation schedule
- Experience managing or supervising others
- Attention to detail
- Punctuality and strong time management skills
- Positive and energetic disposition with strong interpersonal skills
- Strong back with the ability to lift heavy and awkward objects
- Ability to work well in both a team setting and independently
- Fast learner and ability to adapt to new positions and working with new people
- Ability to take direction, accept constructive feedback and to ask for help when needed
- Ability to give direction and act as a leader among peers and colleagues
- Ability to work for long durations in inclement weather
- Ability to perform and endure repetitive physical work
- Ability to speak Spanish is desired but not a must
40-55/wk (hours change with the season). Either a Sunday-Thursday schedule or Tuesday-Saturday schedule, to be determined prior to the start of the season.
Compensation is commensurate with experience, and includes one small CSA share. Additionally, vegetables from the field are available for the picking, as well as partner share items at discount price.
Please email a letter of interest, and 3 references to:
Dan Finkelstein and Valerie Cochran
Helsing Junction Farm
Please write “Irrigation Lead” in the email subject line and include where you found this job posting in the body of the message.
We will only accept applications via email. Mailed or walk-in applications will not be accepted.