Sales and Promotion Representative ($12-14, DOE)--Rochester, WA
Posted on: 03/02/2017 3:51 pm
Sales and Promotion Representative
Part-time or full-time, seasonal
Helsing Junction Farm is a 50 acre organic farm located in Rochester, WA. We are nestled at the eastern edge of Independence Valley, an agriculturally rich farming community about 25 miles south of Olympia. We operate a 1,000+ member CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) program, delivering from Portland to Seattle and many places in between. In addition we do a smaller amount of wholesale and direct to business sales. The farm was started in 1992 by Annie Salafsky and Sue Ujcic and was one of the country’s first CSA operations. You can visit our website, www.helsingjunctionfarms.com if you’d like to learn more.
We are seeking a dynamic sales and promotion representative with experience in sales/marketing, cold calling, and promoting a small and locally-owned business. We sell the majority of our farm’s products through a seasonal Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) program, and actively seek new members each season. We sell our CSA shares directly to consumers, and additionally work with office buildings, state departments, and other local businesses interested in making CSA shares available to their employees. You will be tasked with promoting to this diverse group of potential CSA “members.”
Our promotional materials are all done in house, so we are seeking a charming and honest person to distribute them and to make connections with individuals and businesses interested in purchasing CSA shares from our farm. The majority of your time will be spent visiting prospective customers and distributing our marketing materials throughout the Seattle area. However, you will also occasionally promote in and around Olympia, Tacoma, and Portland.
You will work closely with our Office Manager and Farm Owners, as well as the Farm Manager and Office Assistant. Ideal candidates will have their own ideas and knowledge about promoting in this area, but will also be able to be coached and mentored by those who have done this job in the past.
We are seeking someone who is a self starter and can work independently. Candidates should be friendly, approachable, and enthusiastic about fresh and local organic produce. Ideal candidates should already be familiar with the CSA model, and be adept in explaining and promoting it to potential customers unfamiliar with it.
- Canvass door to door within a residential setting
- Making contact and following up with businesses who could be prospective members in our CSA.
- Identify and seek out potential sales leads in your designated area
- Promote the farm’s products and services
- Help set-up and coordinate participation in various local promotional events
- Represent the farm and our products at various scheduled events
- Ability to educate the customer on the products and services we offer
- Work with our office staff to ensure consistent follow up with potential CSA members.
- Hang posters and leave promotional materials at various businesses
- Regular, predictable attendance
- High school diploma
- Previous sales experience required
- Clear and consistent written and verbal communication skills
- Punctuality and ability to manage time effectively
- Ability to take direction, accept constructive feedback and to ask for help when needed
- Clean and professional appearance
- Reliable transportation
- Ability to use computers and the internet to do research to find businesses where you can promote our CSA
- Positive and friendly attitude
- Excellent time management skills
- Knowledge of eating well, CSAs, cooking, vegetables and/or farming is a plus!
20-40/wk. This is a flexible position, due to the nature of some of the locations you are visiting, it might make sense to work on weekends instead of a typical Monday through Friday work-week.
Commensurate with experience, and includes one CSA share. Additionally, vegetables from the field are available for the picking, as well as partner share items at discount price.
Office Manager, Farm Owners, Farm Manager
Please email a letter of interest, resume and 3 references to:
Dan Finkelstein and Valerie Cochran
Helsing Junction Farm
Please write “Sales and Promotion Representative” in the email subject line and include where you found this job posting in the body of the message.
We will only accept applications via email. Mailed or walk-in applications will not be accepted.