Derived from the popular series taught by Peter Mitchell, this five-day course located in Washington’s Skagit Valley provides students with expert knowledge of cider and perry principles and practices. The curriculum includes information regarding cider culture, production, and business. Students of this course will participate in hands-on sensory demonstrations, laboratory exercises, and blending trials.
The five-day course involves hands-on practical lab work, lectures, workshops, and cider tastings that include:
• A detailed step-by-step guide to cider and perry production;
• An understanding of the chemistry and microbiology behind cider and perry;
• Practical training in the key skills of cider production and methods of laboratory analysis;
• Introduction to sensory analysis of cider and perry;
• Information on the business of cider, taught by Marcus Robert of Tieton Cider Works.